Friday, November 8, 2013

This Holiday I Pledge to Give Books, do You?

If you’ve visited my blog in the past week, you may have seen this cute little kitty image on the side of it: 



Chronicle Books (which in case you don’t know, is an amazing indie press) is aiming to donate 10,000 books to needy children this holiday season, and each time you Pin the cute kitty, tweet #GiveBooks, or sign their online pledge, they will donate one book to a needy child through the nonprofit organization First Book.

Sounds awesome right? While you’re at it, if you order directly from Chronicle right now you have the opportunity to use the discount code GIVEBOOKS and receive 30% off your order, plus free ground shipping. If that’s not enough incentive to order directly from the publisher, then I don’t know what is.

I’m going to take this pledge a little bit further though. When I give books as gifts this Christmas (as I try to do every year), I’m not going to buy them from Amazon or big box chains like Barnes & Noble, Target, Walmart, etc. I’m sticking with independent bookstores (locally owned, if possible, otherwise I’ll order from an indie bookstore’s website), second hand book shops, and directly from the publisher (if the option is available, as not all presses are able to offer this option).

The reason I don’t shop books with Amazon? Well, in short, they do some pretty shitty things to publishers. I can elaborate on this more if anyone is interested, but I’ll leave it at that for now.

Here’s where I’ll be shopping for books:
My list is a weird mix of Spokane and Portland stores, since I’ll be going home for Christmas.

Also don’t rule out Ebay, Goodwill, or any other thrift store! You’ll be amazed at some of the new or in perfect condition books that you can find for a fraction of the original cover price.

Do you pledge to give books too?


2 comments:

  1. Ah! This is so excited! Every year I do a theme for the gifts I give my family and friends. Last year I decided that every gift I was going to give had to be handmade, either by myself or a friend/gift-maker. This year, even before reading this post, I decided my theme is going to be books! I started scouring used bookstores for tomes that will be a perfect match for the individuals on my list. I'm definitely going to be partaking in Chronicle Books program now too! Thank you so much for writing about this! I just might have to do a little blurb about this on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I'm so glad someone else is as excited as I am about this! And you so should do a blurb about it on your blog too.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...