Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Goodbye, 2013

Well, hello there 2014.

As I sit here drinking a whiskey and coke, I have a confession to make: New Year’s makes me sad, and always has. My sister asked me today why I’m so bitter about New Year’s, and when I tried to explain it, it didn’t make much sense to her.

So I hope it makes sense to you, dear reader.


Note: this is about to get somewhat personal.

New Year’s Eve is about things ending. And while I’m predominately an optimist who looks forward to new beginnings and stuff, I’ve never been good about saying goodbye and all that jazz. Also that damn song associated with New Year’s just makes me want to cry. Every. single. time.

Besides that, New Year’s, to me, is a couples holiday. Do you ever hear about families going out together on New Year’s for drinks or dinner? Didn’t think so. And while I was dating someone during the past two New Year’s, we never did anything because he didn’t want to. Actually, I don’t think I’ve ever done anything for New Year’s Eve in my life. I didn’t even know that the New Year’s kiss was a thing until pretty recently either. And as stupid as it sounds, I want all those cliché little things. Because I’m a big sap.

Last year my best friend Molly and I went to sushi at a local sushi bar for New Year’s Day, and the waitress spilled orange chicken on me, laughed in my face, and walked off. So I don’t have the best of memories associated with New Year’s. It’s a good story to laugh at though.

Molly is in Thailand right now (I MISS YOUUUUU LADY) so I won’t be doing anything at all. It’s mildly depressing. But, that’s okay. I don’t always have to be out doing something with people or have a boyfriend. That’s not to say any of that wouldn’t be nice, but I’m content enough spending time on my own. For the most part.

In the fashion of all my Facebook friends though, I’ll share with you some of the best things that happened to me in 2013.
  1. Getting accepted to graduate school.Actually, getting accepted to both programs I applied to. I worked damn hard to get where I am now. Portland State is basically my dream school, and I’m so fortunate that this is my life now and I’m studying what I love.
  2. Being hired as a copyeditor for The Vanguard within my first week of graduate school/living in Portland. And being paid for it. I get paid for doing what I love. In my pajamas, most of the time. *Also fun related fact: Allen Ginsberg posed naked for The Vanguard in the late 60s and was banned from campus. The more you know! Ginsberg is probably my favorite poet ever, so I think it’s pretty awesome.
  3.  Finally getting a corgi. It still overwhelms me sometimes.
  4.  Having the strength to be honest with myself and start over a few times when I wasn’t where I wanted to be. As much as I love to care about others (it’s kind of my thing and I can’t help it), I was neglecting myself, and that’s not okay. That sounds sadder than it actually is. It allowed me to really be happy and appreciate myself, which is one of the best things anyone can do.
  5.  Getting some sweet deals the thrift stores! It wouldn’t be my blog unless I talked about something frugal, right? 2013 was an excellent year for thrifting, and I’ve found it more enjoyable since I stopped doing my YouTube channel. I’m thinking maybe I’ll do a little post on some of the best deals I got in 2013 though. How’s that sound?

Anyway, on a much lighter note: I’m looking forward to 2014. Honestly, I am. I’m getting more work now that there’s only two copyeditors, I’m taking some awesome classes (no more marketing, yech.), and I’m excited to see where my creative writing goes. Also my birthday is in a few weeks! So hopefully that goes well.

What are you doing for New Year’s Eve? 
Is there anything in particular you’re looking forward to in 2014? 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...