Thursday, January 2, 2014

DIY Spice Rack to Lipstick Shelf Upcycle

Hello, friends! I hope you had a lovely New Year’s filled with food and wonderful people.

Now that 2014 is upon us, I’m feeling like I need to get organized and come clean about something.

Confession: I have a lipstick “problem.”

I put that in quotation marks because I don’t think it’s a problem. It’s my personal beauty essential.  Think what you want.

When I have a little extra money, I buy books and lipstick.

I’ve been looking for a way to organize my “problem” in a way that’s aesthetically pleasing (aka matches my bathroom) and makes finding particular shades easier, but still gets them out of the drawer and off the counter.

Enter: the 99¢ spice rack from Goodwill

What a beauty, eh?
Ready to upcycle something ugly into something functional and pretty? Okay!

                                                     
      

Materials:
  • Cheap, ugly spice rack
  • Newspaper
  • Sandpaper
  • Spray-paint
  • Any decorations of your choice








Let's get started! 
Begin by sanding off any dark paint so it doesn't show through the spray-paint later on.            
           
Sometimes you need a doggie helper.
Then lay down the newspaper and begin the laborious process of spray painting.

This'll take a few coats...
After a couple days and about five coats of paint:

Looking much better already.
And now to decorate! I found this pretty illustration from a simple Pinterest search and decoupaged it on.

   

Like so. If your'e doing something similar to this, you may want to spray it with a protective coat after the glue dries.

Classy, or something.
Ta-dah! Hang your beautiful new shelf up and fill it with whatever your heart desires. Nail polish, small perfume bottles, and other little beauty items would all fit nicely on this.
                         
My "problem" doesn't look so bad now! 
                             
Now, that wasn't so hard, was it? I hope you'll explore your local thrift store(s) and use your imagination to DIY other useful things!

Have you ever modified a thrifted find? Drop me a comment and tell me about it, I'd love to hear! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...